Gantt charts are commonly used in project management and offer a quick and easy way to display tasks within a timetable – the tasks to be performed are listed on the vertical axis, and the time intervals for each task are displayed on the horizontal axis.
You may use a Gantt chart to display key activities on a timeline, schedule how long they will last, and show the start and end dates for specific tasks. They are also great for helping teams understand how tasks overlap and are linked to one another. Follow the steps below to create your own Gantt chart in Prezi Design.
Adding a Gantt chart to your project
- From the Prezi Design editor, select Add chart in the left-side toolbar.
- Find the Gantt chart (scroll the list or use the search bar at the top) and click on its thumbnail or drag and drop it right onto the canvas.
Adding data to the chart
- To access the chart's datasheet, double-click on it or select Edit data in the top right corner of the editor.
- You'll see preset column names and some placeholders in the sheet. Here's how you should format the datasheet:
- Use the first column to indicate tasks. As you'll type them in, they will appear in the chart.
- Enter the start date of the task in the second column. You can use the same date format as in the example, or you can change it by selecting the Settings icon at the top of the datasheet and making the switch from the Date Input Format dropdown.
- Use the third column for the end dates of each task.
- In the fourth column (Details), enter a description for each task. The description will appear as a tooltip when hovering over the respective bar.
It's also possible to add data by uploading XLS, XLSX, and CSV files, connecting your chart to a Google Drive document, connecting your chart to a JSON feed, as well as connecting to an online database.
Customizing the Gantt chart
You can adjust the chart to your needs – from switching the colors and fonts to fine-tuning the axes and labels. All of the editing options can be found in the settings panel on the right side of the editor; click on the tabs to access them.
- Chart properties. Select whether you want to display the chart's values and let the viewers download the information that's visualized.
- Color. Set the color of each bar and the values (if enabled). You can also change the bar colors from the datasheet.
- Axis & grid. Set the grid color and transparency, adjust axis titles and labels, and the axis intervals. Use the dropdown under X-axis time format to select how the dates are displayed in the chart.
- Fonts. Change the font and adjust its color and size. In addition, you can customize specific text elements under Advanced settings.
- Legend. Enable or disable the legend, and adjust its positioning.
- Tooltips. Enable or disable tooltips.
- Data format. Make adjustments to the data format.
- Accessibility. Give a label and description to your chart so that viewers who are using screen readers will also know what you've visualized.
Making the chart interactive
You can make your Gantt chart more interactive by adding URL links, page links, or links to chart/map tabs.
- Double-click on the chart or select it and expand the Edit data tab on the right.
- Right-click on a cell of a specific task and select Add/change link.
- Select one of the available options and add the link. Then, select Apply.
You can learn more about linking in the articles about adding URL links to content in Prezi Design, linking pages in Prezi Design, and adding links to tabs of charts and maps in Prezi Design.
Downloading and/or sharing your Gantt chart
Downloading the chart
To download the project you're working on, select the Download option in the top right corner of the editor. Next, choose one of the available file formats at the top and select Download to save the project to your computer.
If you'd like to download the chart straight from the editor, right-click on it on the canvas, select Export as... in the context menu, and pick the file format.
Learn more in the article about downloading your content in Prezi Design.
Sharing and embedding the chart
Select Share in the top right corner of the editor to access the project's privacy settings. Choose whether you want to keep it private and use a private link to share the content with others or make it public and visible on search engines. Read more in the article about changing privacy settings in Prezi Design.
To learn more about embedding the chart on your website, read the article on embedding your Prezi Design content.
Learn more about Prezi Design in the article on getting started with Prezi Design.