Create a population pyramid (also called age-sex pyramid) in Prezi Design to visualize the distribution of a population by age group and sex. A population pyramid can be used to compare differences between male and female populations of a country or a region of the world. They also show the number of dependents (children and senior citizens) and display the general structure of the population.
Adding a population pyramid to your project
- In the Prezi Design editor, select Add chart in the left-side toolbar.
- Find the chart in the list (you can use the search bar at the top) and click on its thumbnail or drag and drop the chart onto the canvas.
Adding data to the population pyramid
- To access the chart's datasheet, double-click on it or select Edit data in the top right corner of the editor.
- All charts have placeholder data for you to see the correct formatting. Here's how you should format the datasheet:
- Use column A to enter the age groups you want to compare. You can reorganize these however you want, and it's possible to add new rows by right-clicking on the datasheet and selecting Insert row above or Insert row below.
- In column B, enter the data on the male population. Usually, data on males are displayed on the left, but you can change that in the first row.
- In column C, enter the data on the female population.
You can also add data by uploading XLS, XLSX, and CSV files, connecting your chart to a Google Drive document, connecting your chart to a JSON feed, as well as connecting to an online database. Just make sure that the formatting matches that of the population pyramid.
Customizing the population pyramid
Use the tabs in the settings panel on the right of the editor to change the pyramid's colors, adjust the axes and grid, set the font, and more.
- Chart properties. Select whether you want to display the values, let viewers download the data you've visualized, and more.
- Color. Set the color of the bars and adjust the value color.
- Axis & grid. Adjust the look of the grid, give titles to the axes, and set the axis intervals.
- Fonts. Change the font and adjust its color and size. Specific text elements can be edited under Advanced settings.
- Legend. Enable or disable the legend, and adjust its positioning.
- Tooltips. Enable or disable tooltips.
- Data format. Adjust the data format, add prefixes/suffixes to the values.
- Accessibility. Make your chart accessible to viewers using screen readers by adding a label and a description.
Making the chart more interactive
All of Prezi Design's charts are interactive – tooltips are displayed when viewers hover over the chart, and viewers can interact with the legend. But you can make the chart even more engaging. Here are some of the options:
- You can add links to specific values of the pyramid and link out to your website or other pages of your project. Learn more in the articles on adding URL links to content in Prezi Design, linking pages in Prezi Design, and adding links to tabs of charts and maps in Prezi Design.
- In addition to the chart's tooltips, it's also possible to use callouts – add them to your data visualization to create an extra layer of content. Learn more in the article about using callouts in Prezi Design.
- Enable interactivity hints so that your viewers know they can interact with the chart. Learn more in the article about using interactivity hints in Prezi Design.
Downloading and sharing the population pyramid
Downloading the chart
To download the project you're working on, select the Download option in the top right corner of the editor. Next, choose one of the available file formats at the top and select Download to save the project to your computer.
If you'd like to download the chart straight from the editor, right-click on it, select Export as... in the context menu, and pick the file format.
Learn more in the article about downloading your content in Prezi Design.
Sharing and embedding the chart
Select Share in the top right corner of the editor to access the project's privacy settings. Choose whether you want to keep it private and use a private link to share the content with others or make it public and visible on search engines. Read more in the article about changing privacy settings in Prezi Design.
To learn more about embedding the chart on your website, read the article on embedding your Prezi Design content.